Friday, February 4, 2011

Pay it Forward

Austin did great yesterday! He ate all of his feedings from 6Am until now. He isn't gaining as much weight as he should but we are really close to going home. As he approaches coming home I ask one thing. I am not accepting gifts.

The Savior said, "For whosoever will save his life shall lose it, but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it" (Luke 9:24) Commenting on this scripture, President Hinckley said, "It seems to me that the Savior is saying to each of us that unless we lose ourselves in the service of others our lives are largely lived to no real purpose. He who lives and dies, while he who forgets himself in the service of others grows and blossoms in this life and in eternity. Look above your trials. Try to forget your own pain as you work to alleviate the pain of others. Mingle together with your brothers and sisters in the gospel. We need to talk with and to share our feelings and faith. Cultivate friends. Begin by being a good friend to others. Share your burdens with the Lord. (from the book Stand A Little Taller)
Recently, in my neighborhood we have had 1 baby have heart surgery, and two babies get lifeflighted and go to the NICU. I have been working with the parent volunteer group at the hospital and offered to make 60 NICU parent survival kits. These kits have hand sanitizer, inspirational messages, baby hats, and treats. If anyone can donate even 1 dollar to help me purchase the things I need to make them, that would be my wish. Thanks so much for all your support and in April or so I will be hosting a "Make NICU kit night"

3 comments:

brigette said...

Great idea id be happy to help out. Im glad your little one is doing better and will be home soon!

ASRussell said...

what an awesome idea! Id be more than happy to help too!

Jamie said...

I'm in! I could use an opportunity to pay it forward too!